• Education

  • Catalog Year 2018-2019

    If you want to be a teacher, you will be making a number of decisions: What age group do you want to teach? What subject do you want to teach? Will you transfer to a school with an undergraduate (four-year/bachelor's) or graduate (fifth year/master's) teaching program? Which school do you want to transfer to? The answer to these questions will help determine the appropriate courses to take.

    Students interested in teaching at the elementary level (Pre-K to eighth grade) will want to follow a course of study that is multidisciplinary since they will teach many subjects. There are a number of Elementary Teacher Education programs in the Portland area.

    Students interested in teaching at the secondary level (middle or high school) will want to follow a course of study that reflects the major area they wish to teach (i.e., math, social science, science, health/PE, language arts, etc.).

    MHCC offers a number of education courses to help you determine if teaching is really for you and prepare you for transfer to a four-year university:

    Recommended MHCC Education Courses
    Course Number Course Title Credits
    ED142 Education Orientation 1
    ED200 Introduction to Education 3
    ED258 Multicultural Education 3
    Courses for Elementary Education Majors
    Course Number Course Title Credits
    MTH211 Fundamentals of Elementary Mathematics I 4
    MTH212 Fundamentals of Elementary Mathematics II 4
    MTH213 Fundamentals of Elementary Mathematics III 4
    Eastern Oregon University at MHCC: Students who are interested in entering the EOU-MHCC Elementary Education program are strongly recommended to contact EOU Program Advisor, John Knudson-Martin at jknudson@eou.edu or 503-491-7427. Students should also view the online EOU education checklist.

    Transfer Schools

    This information is meant to serve as a general guide for students intending to major in education. Specific requirements for transfer will vary from school to school. It is the student's responsibility to contact his or her four-year transfer school to confirm specific admission requirements.