Mt. Hood Community College’s Presidential Search Committee has adopted a Board of Education-approved profile of the skills and experience desired in the college’s next president and has begun accepting applications. In March, the committee will recommend top candidates to the board for review and approval. The new president will take over for Dr. Debra Derr, who is retiring after five years in the position.
The search committee’s presidential profile was crafted based on community and college-wide feedback acquired through an electronic survey and a series of public forums held at MHCC and within the community. The committee will recommend presidential candidates who are “innovative, inclusive and collaborative leader(s).” Required qualifications for the job include a master’s degree, experience as a senior-level college administrator (preferably at a community college), and a background working with diverse communities. Preferred qualifications include a doctorate and higher education teaching experience.
Additionally, the committee determined that MHCC’s next president should possess several ideal characteristics. These include: knowledge of best teaching practices; history of raising funds and passing bonds; and experience fostering partnerships
with local business and industry, K-12 schools, and other colleges and universities. Furthermore, MHCC’s next president should prioritize the college’s technology needs and possess a successful history of meeting enrollment, retention and completion
The search committee also outlined a series of challenges and opportunities that the college’s next president should address. These include:
- Responding to the changing community demographics and the college’s diverse economy by building and expanding student-focused programs and services
- Promoting the college to local business, educational institutions and residents to increase college visibility and reputation
- Leading the assessment and upgrade of college facilities, infrastructure and technology
- Strengthening cross-campus communication and collaboration
- Continuing to create a global-minded campus culture through the support of programs for study abroad and international students
You can stay up-to-date on MHCC’s presidential search by visiting mhcc.edu/PresidentialSearch