Medical Assistant is now open entry!
The Medical Assistant program is open
entry and begins summer term only. There is no application process to register for program classes. Students register on a space available basis after requirements have been met. Summer term registration opens in May. Visit the registration calendar for specific dates.
Follow these steps to join the program.
- Complete an MHCC General Admission Application if you are new or returning after four terms or more.
- Select Medical Assistant as your major. Current students: Email
firstname.lastname@example.org to request your major be updated to Medical Assistant.
- If you are a transfer student, you will need to submit an official transcript(s) and then request a transcript evaluation. For information about determining course placement, visit
Testing Services or call 503-491-7591.
- Complete all prerequisite courses by the end of Spring term.
- Required WR090 Writing Skills: Paragraph to Essay with a C grade or higher (or placement into WR115 Introduction to College Writing on the college placement test)
- Required MTH058/060: Quantitative reasoning/Beginning algebra 1 or higher (or placement into Mth098/Mth065 on the college placement test)
- Recommended but not required BA131: Introduction to Business Computing with a C grade or higher. Students unfamiliar with computer applications (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook) are encouraged to take BA131, before starting the program.
- Register for the following summer term classes in May:
- MA110 Fundamentals for the Medical Office, 3 credit hours
- MA110L Fundamentals for the Medical Office Lab, 1 credit hour
- MA140 Understanding Medical Insurance, 3 credit hours
- MA213 Medical Terminology for the Medical Assistant, 2 credit hours
- BI100 Survey of Body Systems, 4 credit hours
- Required Orientation: Attend the mandatory orientation for all Medical Assistant students on Monday June 26th from 1 p.m.-3 p.m. in room 1756. Details regarding the required immunizations, drug screen, and
background check will be addressed at the orientation.
Still have questions about the Medical Assistant program?
Read through the Frequently Asked Questions at
www.mhcc.edu/MedicalAssistantFAQ or contact Jean Anne Parker at (503) 491-7193 or Jean.Parker@mhcc.edu.