• NRT - Frequently Asked Questions

  • Important Note: Some external links may be inaccessible. People requiring accommodations due to a disability should contact the Accessible Education Services at 503-491-6923 or dsoweb@mhcc.edu. We’ve answered the most common questions about our program and the admissions process. Read on! Still didn’t find the answer? Contact a Natural Resources Technology faculty adviser.

    How do I apply?

    There's no longer an application process. Interested students will simply fill out the Natural Resources Technology Interest Form to reserve a spot in the program.

    Is there a deadline for submitting my information for the program?

    Interested students may submit an interest form for the program up through the week before the term starts. Students are reserved a spot in the program on a first-come, first served basis.

    How many spots are available in the program?

    The program accepts 40 students. Once these spots are filled, students will be added to the waitlist.

    In the event students admitted to the program decide not to enroll, waitlisted students will be notified by the email provided, and waitlisted students will be given an opportunity to enter the program based on the order of your interest form submission date.

    How will I know if/when I will be added to the waitlist?

    The Admissions, Registration and Records office will promptly notify you by email if a position becomes available for you. We ask that you refrain from checking on your status as we will not be able to predict the movement of a filled spot.

    When does my major change to Natural Resources Technology?

    Students who were reserved a spot in the program will be emailed in April 2019. You be required to confirm and accept your spot in the program. Your major will be changed to Natural Resources Technology within 10 business days which will allow you to proceed to register for Fall term classes.

    When can I register?

    Registration for fall term begins in May. For students who were reserved a spot in the program, specific information be provided for Natural Resources Technology course registration and a mandatory orientation to be held on June 4, 2019 at 3:00pm in room AC1656.

    What is the expectation of students in the program?

    We look for students who demonstrate the ability to succeed in ALL core areas. To be competitive in the Natural Resources Technology industry, you'll need to have commitment, the willingness to collaborate with others, work hard often in inclement weather conditions on adverse slopes, have a strong love of the outdoors and wish to make a positive contribution to the technical responsibility in natural resources management and research. Attendance and participation in outdoor labs are an integral part of the program coursework. Students learn practical field techniques necessary for employment in local forests, parks and natural areas. The courses incorporate technologically advanced equipment and software into the field data collection and analysis.

    When does the program start?

    The Natural Resources Technology program starts every year in Fall term (September).

    Can’t I just start the program later in the academic year?

    Mid-year entrance into a class or classes is by faculty permission only. Faculty permission does not guarantee admission into the program. Students must meet the program admission requirements to have their major changed to Natural Resources Technology.

    How can I find out more?

    Natural Resources Technology faculty advisers are always happy to meet with prospective students during office hours or other arranged times to discuss the program requirements and the Natural Resources Technology profession. Please contact us by email or by phone. We are not on campus during the summer months so please use email to connect with us during the summer. *Note our response time may be a few weeks.

    Will I have time for a job?

    Most students work while they are completing the program, and we try to schedule Natural Resources Technology courses so there is time for students to work. We encourage students to pursue natural resources-related work if possible to gain valuable experience. Most program classes are scheduled Monday through Thursday between 8am and 5pm.

    How much homework is involved?

    The amount of homework will vary by course. The expectation is that a student will put in one to two hours for each class hour outside of class working on homework, assigned reading material, etc. There are additional individual course assignments that require out-of-class time on or off campus or working individually or in groups. Students can expect working in inclement weather and adverse terrain conditions during these times.

    What will my schedule look like?

    Natural Resources Technology core class schedule for Fall 2019.































    Section 1


















    Section 1


    Section 2









    Section 2







































    Note: Students will select one section of F141 and NR160.

    So that students can easily plan personal, work and academic schedules during the two-year program, are there any Natural Resources Technology classes in the summer?

    No. However, summer is a great time to work on your General Education requirements such as Writing, Math, Health and Physical Education, Human Relations, etc. Faculty highly recommend completing the cooperative work experience (internship) during the summer. The Natural Resources Technology program 2-year curriculum & the certificate can be found at https://www.mhcc.edu/NRT.

    What classes can I take Winter, Spring or Summer terms, before the program starts next Fall?

    You can take any class that satisfies the AAS degree’s General Education requirements (Math, Writing, Human Relations and Health/PE).

    Many General Education classes are available during non-traditional evening and weekend hours or are offered through Online Learning.

    If you are receiving financial aid you are normally required to take at least 12 credits per term (full time student) to receive your full financial aid award. Taking General Education courses prior to starting the Natural Resources Technology program may make it difficult to be a full-time student especially during the first year. We recommend meeting with an academic advisor before taking General Education courses prior to starting the program for help with scheduling and academic planning.

    I only have time to take one course at a time. Can I do that?

    The program is six terms (excluding summers); part time attendance may take three to four years as classes are generally offered once per year. If you are interested in a very specific class, talk to a Natural Resources Technology faculty adviser.

    Are classes available online?

    The Natural Resources Technology program provides dynamic hands-on learning experiences. Classes are not offered online and a significant portion of the experiential learning requires field labs.

    What equipment/tools will I need for the program?

    All students will need a USB flash drive (16 GB or more) or external hard drives. Enrolled students will get supply lists in each class. Students can expect to purchase quality raingear (jacket and pants), leather work gloves, field work boots, and a hardhat. More information on required equipment for the program can be found at https://www.mhcc.edu/NRTProgramDetails.

    What is the employment prospect for individuals with a criminal record?

    Although there are no general prohibitions against employing you in the Federal or State Governments, there are some regulations, which will prohibit you from working in certain positions if you have a specific conviction. Contact the Natural Resources Technology faculty or the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) at https://opm.gov.

    Do I need a valid driver’s license to obtain natural resources-related employment after I graduate?

    Yes! State, federal and tribal agencies all require valid driver’s licenses to obtain employment. Many private Natural Resources Technology consultants, aquaculture corporations, etc., also require valid driver’s licenses. In addition, most agencies check driving records for several years prior to the time of application. A clean driving record is critical to obtaining seasonal or permanent employment with Natural Resources Technology agencies! If you have questions about your driving record contact the Natural Resources Technology faculty.