MHCC’s Public Safety Officers are a uniformed presence on the Gresham campus twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. The Maywood campus has a uniform Public Safety Officers for twenty (20) hours a week when classes are in session. Law enforcement
agencies are available to respond to the Gresham Campus, Maywood Center, and Bruning Center at any time.
The Public Safety officers are licensed by the Oregon Department of Public Safety Standards and Training (DPSST). The officers are trained in a variety of law enforcement related areas in addition to First Aid, CPR, Automated External Defibrillator (AED),
incident command and crime reporting. The officers are trained in defensive tactics and carry handcuffs, an expandable baton and pepper spray. The communications dispatch officers monitor security cameras and alarms, are trained to assess the priority
of reported incidents, collect necessary information and dispatch both on-campus and local public safety emergency responders in response to a variety of safety related calls.
Public Safety Department’s Services:
- Respond to emergency calls, disturbances and safety hazards.
- Respond to fire, panic and security alarms.
- Provide first aid response to injuries or illnesses.
- Proactive foot, bicycle and vehicle patrols of the campuses.
- Ensure crowd management control.
- Provide safety escorts for persons walking between buildings and from buildings to parked vehicles.
- Meet with individual students and employees to discuss their specific safety concerns on campus and work on a personal safety plan. This includes individuals who have obtained restraining or stalking orders.
- Enforce the college’s parking, traffic, alcohol and tobacco regulations.
- Jump start dead batteries and perform vehicle unlocks.
- Administer a comprehensive network of intrusion and fire detection systems and a system of closed circuit television cameras.
- Provide and deliver crime prevention materials and presentations to campus groups on crime awareness, personal safety and other related topics.