• Respiratory Care FAQ

  • Important Note: Some external links may be inaccessible. People requiring accommodations due to a disability should contact Accessible Education Services at 503-491-6923 or aes@mhcc.edu.

    How do I know what classes to take before I get into the program?
    The prerequisite requirements are posted here. An academic adviser can help you understand what you need to take prior to applying. Students should also plan on attending an information session to get more specific program details. Information session details can be found on the program home page.
    What is the class schedule like once I am accepted?

    The approximate core class schedule for the first year is Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. The approximate core class schedule for the second year is Mondays, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. and clinical schedule: Tuesday & Wednesday or Thursday & Friday, day or night shifts.

    Why do I have to submit proof of high school completion?
    In order to get licensed in the State of Oregon as a Registered Respiratory Therapist you will have to provide proof of high school completion. We have determined it is best for us to confirm you have a high school degree (or GED equivalent) at the time of admission so that you do not run into any problems getting licensed after you graduate.
    Can I use my diploma copy as proof of high school completion or college degree earned?

    No. For high school completion, you are required to submit an official high school transcript showing the graduation date or an official GED transcript showing an overall pass score. For a college degree, you must submit an official college transcript showing the degree earned.

    I am home-schooled and do not have a high school diploma. How do I prove my high school completion?

    Home-schooled applicants must meet this requirement by completion of the GED test with an overall pass score.

    I am a high school student taking college credits. Can I still apply to the program?

    If you will be graduating from high school the same year you are applying, we will accept a letter from your high school stating you are on track to graduate that Spring along with a transcript which shows you are in your last year of high school. In the event you are accepted to the program it will be contingent upon receiving the final transcript showing your high school degree earned. If you are unable to supply this by the date listed in your acceptance letter your spot will be given to the next alternate.

    My high school diploma and college transcript are from another country. What are the requirements for submitting these?

    Students that received their high school diploma or attended a foreign college institution will need to have the transcripts evaluated by one of our approved credential services, see www.mhcc.edu/internationaltranscript. The evaluated transcript must be submitted by the application deadline for the program. This process should be started very early on. Once you turn in your evaluated transcript from the credential services, our process could take up to six weeks.

    I sent my application documents via overnight service but they were received after the deadline. Can an exception be made for my application to be accepted?

    No. It is recommended that students plan ahead and do not wait until the last minute to submit application materials (i.e., transcripts). Exceptions will not be made for application items received after the deadline even if materials were sent via guaranteed rush delivery service. MHCC is not responsible for delayed delivery services or other institutions’ transcript processing timeline.

    What will I have to do after I am accepted into the program?

    Health and Safety: Students are required to meet all Health and Safety requirements established by affiliate health care facilities and by the College. These requirements include annual training, immunizations, tuberculosis screening, drug and alcohol testing, and criminal background check. Students will be advised of the requirements and timeline for completion upon acceptance into the program. It is the responsibility of the students to provide documentation and maintain currency. Students who are not in compliance will be unable to attend clinical practicum. Please note, this drug screening may also check for prescription drugs that contain amphetamines, barbiturates, opioids, benzodiazepines and marijuana. If you are taking any prescribed medication that may contain these drugs you will need to meet with the program director before completing the drug screen. Even though marijuana use is legal in Oregon and Washington, since it is not legal federally, hospitals and clinical sites will not allow it, and you will fail your drug screen if it shows up. At this time the COVID-19 vaccine is mandatory as clinical sites are not allowing student exemptions, and you cannot successfully complete the program without enough clinical hours.

    Orientation for accepted and alternate students – A mandatory program orientation will be held for accepted students in late spring / early summer each year. Attendance is required, or the next eligible alternate will be given your assigned place in the program.

    How much does the program cost?

    These costs are approximations and are subject to change without notice. They are listed only as a guide for your financial planning. Tuition is as of Fall term 2021 and subject to change without notice. To view the current tuition rate, please see the Tuition/Fee Rate Table at www.mhcc.edu/tuition.

    Description Estimated Cost
    Tuition and College Fees (approximate and based on six terms in the program including general education courses needed for the AAS in Respiratory Care. If you have completed some or all of the general education courses, your tuition will be less.) $13,889.50
    Respiratory Care Course Fees $2020
    Second quarter (Winter)
    RT121 course fee: $25
    RT122 course fee: $25
    Third quarter (Spring)
    RT141 course fee: $200
    RT142 course fee: $200
    RT150 course fee: $100
    Fourth quarter (Fall)
    RT220 course fee: $25
    RT251 course fee: $400
    Fifth quarter (Winter)
    RT231 course fee: $200
    RT252 course fee: $400
    Sixth quarter (Spring)
    RT232 course fee: $45
    RT253 course fee: $400
    Books for RC Classes $923
    First Year Costs
    Criminal Background Check $90
    Vaccines and titers $500
    Drug screen $47
    Extras (Scrubs, Stethoscope, arm patches, good pair of shoes, etc.) $380
    Second year and post-graduation costs
    Travel to Clinical Sites varies
    Liability Insurance Included within fees
    TMC exam $190
    Clinic Simulation exam $200
    Oregon License $100
    Washington License (if getting licensed in WA) $360
    FBI background check $90
    Total $18,789.50
    Is there a board exam I have to take or a license at the end of the program?

    Graduates of the program are able to sit for the national credentialing examinations administered by the NBRC. The graduates are eligible to take the certification examination for entry level therapist (certified respiratory therapist, CRT), the registry examination for advanced therapists (registered respiratory therapist, RRT) and other specialty credential exams (e.g., certification in pulmonary function technology, CPFT, and neonatal and pediatric specialist, NPS). Examination information can be obtained by contacting the NBRC at 8310 Nieman Rd, Lenexa, Kansas, 66214. The phone number for the NBRC is 913-599-4200. Their internet site is nbrc.org. Almost all states require successful completion of the CRT examination as part of the state licenses requirement. Oregon requires successful completion of the NBRC's RRT exam to satisfy the requirements for a regular license in order to practice.