• Transfer Information

  • Mt. Hood Community College is an excellent starting place for students who wish to transfer to a four-year university or college and pursue a bachelor's degree. MHCC students can complete all or most of the lower-division general education requirements for both public and private four-year colleges and universities. The advantages of starting a four-year program at MHCC include smaller classes, lower costs, instructors' focus on teaching excellence and the availability of courses for improvement of skills in reading, writing and mathematics.

    Planning for a Successful Transfer

    Admission, general education, degree and graduation requirements vary among colleges and universities. Therefore, it is vital to plan ahead for transfer by reviewing catalogs and transfer advising guides for the various transfer schools. Planning for transfer is an important part of one's educational preparation.

    Success in the transfer process is largely the result of careful planning and attention to the requirements of transfer colleges. Transfer success is a student's individual responsibility. However, prudent use of available resources and advising can help to ensure a smooth transition to a four-year institution. Students can benefit from following these tips for successful transfer:

    • Plan Ahead: Enroll in HD100: College Success and/or contact an adviser at MHCC to develop an education plan. If you need help with choosing a major or career, enroll in HD110 or HD208, and/or contact the Career Planning and Counseling Center.
    • Maintain Contact: Establish early contact with admissions representatives and major advisers both at MHCC and transfer colleges. Keep in touch with them in order to keep up to date on major and transfer requirements.
    • Know the Ruales: Pay attention to GPA and transfer credit policies, application deadlines and both general education and major course requirements of transfer schools.
    • Confirm Transferability of Courses: Not all 100-200 level courses transfer to all four-year schools (refer to page 258 of the MHCC college catalog). It is strongly recommended that students contact the four-year university they plan to attend (immediately) to check admission requirements, deadlines, and the suggested freshman and sophomore classes required in the chosen field. Universities and four-year colleges have the "last say" on transferability.
    • Utilize Transfer Resources: This catalog, academic advisers (Academic Advising and Transfer Center), MHCC faculty advisers and the annual Transfer Days event are key sources of information and guidance.
    • Ask for Help: Make sure you have current and complete information; check the resources above or ask your transfer/ receiving school directly for what you need to complete the transfer process successfully.
    Transfer Departments and Faculty Advisers

    Students can prepare for transfer at MHCC in many areas of study! These majors may lead toward hundreds of potential careers. Faculty advisers are assigned to assist students with appropriate educational planning, selection of transfer schools and keeping updated on changing requirements and standards. Faculty advisers provide expertise to students majoring in their fields. Lists of advisers for all majors are updated annually and posted to the MHCC website at https://catalog.mhcc.edu/programs-majors/.

    Academic Advising and Transfer Center

    Many resources can be used to research potential transfer colleges and to learn about their degree programs and requirements.

    Students may use the center's computers to access Web pages for hundreds of colleges and universities. Regular visits by transfer college representatives also enable MHCC students to make personal inquiries related to their transfer plans.

    Transfer Days

    Each winter term, representatives from colleges and universities visit MHCC for Transfer Days. This conveniently scheduled and located "fair" gives students the opportunity to investigate several colleges at one time. Personal contact with college reps offers a chance to ask for detailed information about transfer subjects and procedures. For information on upcoming Transfer Days, students may contact the Academic Advising and Transfer Center in AC 2253, or call 503-491-7315.

    How Should Students Choose a Transfer Degree?

    Any of the following options can work well if you want to begin your bachelor's degree at Mt. Hood Community College.

    Associate of Arts-Oregon Transfer Degree (AAOT)

    The AAOT degree is designed for students planning to complete an associate's degree before transferring into a bachelor's degree program at one of the Oregon's public university-system schools. OUS schools include University of Oregon, Oregon State University, Eastern Oregon University, Western Oregon University, Southern Oregon University, Portland State University and Oregon Institute of Technology. The AA/OT offers students the flexibility to choose courses that interest them while meeting university lower division general education requirements.

    Any student having the Associate of Arts Oregon Transfer (AAOT) degree recognized on an official college transcript will have met the lower division General Education requirements of baccalaureate degree programs of any institution in the Oregon University System.

    Students transferring under this agreement will have junior status for registration purposes. Course, class standing or GPA requirements for specific majors, departments or schools are not necessarily satisfied by an AAOT degree.

    Students need to be ready for college-level mathematics, writing and science in order to complete the AAOT degree in two years. Students who lack the necessary skills, MHCC offers excellent preparatory courses and tutorial assistance to help students get on track quickly.

    Although the AAOT provides an excellent structure for many students—particularly those who are unsure of their primary academic focus—it is not ideal for everyone. In particular, it does not articulate well with certain majors such as engineering, biological and physical sciences and the fine and performing arts. Students contemplating these majors cannot easily accommodate their highly-specific prerequisite coursework into the AAOT framework. In general, an AAOT recipient who is pursuing any course of study that is credit-heavy at the major lower-division level may have to take additional lower-division coursework, specific to the major, after transfer. Students contemplating such majors should consult closely with an advisor and may instead want to consider the Associate of Science degree.

    A limited number of private and out-of-state institutions also accept the AA/OT. These include Concordia University, Pacific University, Warner Pacific College and George Fox University in the Portland area, as well as Western Baptist College, BYU - Hawaii, Hawaii Pacific University, Boise State University, Seattle Pacific University and Washington State University - Vancouver. Some of these schools have unique general education requirements that must also be met. Advisers can assist students planning for those courses.

    Associate of Science –Oregon Transfer–Business (ASOT–Business) and Associate of Science Oregon Transfer-Computer Science (ASOT-CS)

    ASOT degrees are designed for students planning to complete an associate degree before transferring into a bachelor's degree program at one of the Oregon's public university-system schools. The schools include University of Oregon, Oregon State University, Eastern Oregon University, Western Oregon University, Southern Oregon University, Portland State University and Oregon Institute of Technology.

    A student that completes an AS/OT degree and transfers to an Oregon public university, will have met the lower-division general education requirements for that institution's baccalaureate degree programs.

    GPA requirements for entry into the major are not necessarily satisfied by an AS/OT degree. Once admitted to the university and either the Business or Computer Science program, however, students transferring under this agreement will have junior standing for both for the Business / Computer Science major and for university registration purposes.

    All courses should be aligned with the student's intended program of study and the degree requirements of the baccalaureate institution to which the student plans to transfer. A student is encouraged to work with an advisor in the selection of courses within the ASOT degree for alignment to the institution the student intends to transfer. Students should work with an academic or faculty adviser early in the development of their educational plan.

    Associate of Science (AS)

    Associate of Science is a state approved associate degree that is intended to prepare students to transfer into an upper division baccalaureate degree program in such areas as Business, Science, Mathematics and Engineering at one of the Oregon's public university-system schools.

    Completion of this degree does not guarantee (as does the AAOT and ASOT–business degrees) that lower-division General Education requirements of an Oregon public university will be fully satisfied. However, all courses approved for an AS degree are transfer-level courses and will be evaluated course-by course at the receiving institution toward satisfying major, general education or elective degree requirements.

    This degree articulates well with certain majors such as engineering, biological and physical sciences and the fine and performing arts. Students contemplating these majors can more easily accommodate highly-specific major requirements into the AS framework.

    In selecting courses for this degree, students are highly encouraged to consult the specific faculty adviser and the institution to which they intend to transfer to determine if it is an appropriate choice.

    The Associate of General Studies (AGS)

    The Associate of General Studies degree may be a useful alternative for direct transfer students. This flexible degree option enables a student to complete an associate's degree that may be tailored to the general education requirements of a transfer school. Students must exercise caution in using the AGS option, as the degree itself does not guarantee course transferability of courses. The AGS degree requirements may include non-transferrable coursework. Educational planning for the Associate of General Studies should be done with the help of an adviser.

    The Oregon Transfer Module (OTM)

    The OTM is a set of 45 general education credits recognized by all Oregon community colleges and Oregon public universities,designed for students who wish to transfer. Completion of the OTM can help those students taking courses at multiple post-secondary institutions by ensuring transferability of coursework. This is not a degree or certificate but is documentation on a student's transcript that they have met a subset of common general education requirements.

    In the case of community colleges, these will be courses approved for the Associate of Arts Oregon Transfer (AAOT) degree; in the case of universities and four-year colleges, they will be courses approved for the General Education part of a baccalaureate degree. All courses must be passed with a grade of "C" or better and must be worth at least 3 credits.

    Direct Transfer

    Transferring without a degree from MHCC is also an option for some students. Students in certain majors may need to transfer after one year in order to take advantage of critical major courses offered at the four-year school in the sophomore year. Or, a student may choose to select only the specific courses required for a specific major and/or college. When a student opts for direct transfer, MHCC courses are evaluated and accepted on a course-by-course basis by the transfer school.

    Students should be aware of their selected schools transfer admission requirements and general education degree requirements. It is each student's responsibility to learn the program requirements of any prospective transfer school and to keep up to date on changes in those requirements. Therefore, students should periodically contact the transfer schools for updates.

    Transfer Guides by Subject