Transitions/Transiciones is probably a good fit for you if:
- You have been out of school for a while and/or you could use some extra support to build confidence and a support network.
- You feel you can benefit from a comprehensive career planning and college preparation program to help you be successful in school.
- You feel you can benefit from the extra support our program coordinator and mentors provide.
- You do not have a definite career goal and/or you could benefit from guidance to get to your goals.
- You need and want friends to take classes with and be a support to you.
- You have the time and ability to add classes and homework into your schedule.
- You have housing, transportation, income for basic necessities, and child care if needed
Transitions/Transiciones may not be a good fit for you if:
- You are in a serious personal crisis- this is a challenging college program and students must be able to focus, attend class regularly, and do homework consistently. You may want to discuss with the Program Coordinator starting at a later time
if you are overwhelmed with sadness or grief, in a violent relationship, new in recovery, homeless, or your family is in crisis.
- You already have a clear, well-researched career goal. However, many students who have a goal have still found the classes to be useful. It has helped students confirm their goal, change their goal, or develop a Plan B.
- You are a self-starter, confident, and don't feel the need for a lot of emotional support.
- You are taking a lot of other classes. Especially if you've been out of school a while, we recommend keeping the load light while you are enrolled in Transitions/Transiciones.
- You want to get started in college at a fast pace. Transitions/Transiciones is a slower paced program to give you a whole term to learn, reflect, and make plans. We believe that what is gained is worth slowing down for, things such as building
confidence, achieving good grades, retention and success in college.
- Can I take Transitions/Transiciones at a later time? Yes, you are free to apply at any time!
- I'm already in college. Would Transitions/Transiciones be good for me? Some students enroll in Transitions/Transiciones AFTER starting college because they feel they need extra support to be successful, want to build a community
with other women in college and are having difficulties being successful on their own. The program can help you improve your confidence, clarify your goals, and develop a support system.
- How much does Transitions/Transiciones cost? Transitions and Transiciones may have additional costs (which is covered if you are FAFSA eligible). If you are not eligible for financial aid the program may be able to help pay these
costs for you.