MHCC uses Accuplacer for our College Placement Test(CPT). The test is used to determine Reading, Writing and Mathematics course placement and prerequisite levels. The test is a computer-based, multiple-choice test that is administered year round.
What kinds of questions can I expect on the CPT?
MHCC utilizes the Reading, Writing, Arithmetic, Quantitative Algebra and Advanced Algebra tests. View Sample Questions
How long are my scores valid?
Your CPT results will remain valid for five years.
When can I take the CPT?
You can choose to take the placement test either in-person or remotely from home. Remote testing is offered through an online proctoring service called Examity and is available 24 hours a day. In person testing
is available Monday-Friday from 8-4:00. Both options are available by appointment only.
What is required to take the test remotely?
In order to take the test from home using Examity, you must have access to a laptop or desktop computer with a web cam, microphone, speakers and a stable internet connection. You must also
be able to test in a closed room without any interruptions.
How do I request to take the CPT?
Please complete the College Placement Test Request Form. Testing Staff will respond to your request by email within
one business day.
Questions? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How long will it take?
The CPT is not timed. You may take as much time as you need. It usually takes about 90 minutes to complete the full CPT.
How can I prepare for the CPT?
We recommend that you practice for the test and review English and math concepts by using Accuplacer’s free study app.
- Even a little bit review can make a substantial difference in your course placement which will save you both time and money!
- Relax! The CPT is designed to help you to be successful in school. This is not a pass or fail test! Your scores help us to determine which courses are most appropriate for your current level of knowledge and skills.
- You will be better able to concentrate if you get plenty of rest and eat properly prior to the test.
- Be sure you understand the directions for each test before you begin each section. Ask questions if you need to.
- Pace yourself. Remember this test is not timed.Allow yourself plenty of time – do not put yourself in a situation where you must rush through the test.
What happens when I’m done with the test?
You will be able to view a copy of your CPT scores immediately following your test and your results will be automatically uploaded into your MHCC record. You are highly encouraged to meet with an Academic Advisor for help with planning your class schedule
and getting registered.
- Option 1: Drop in to the Student Services HUB in room 2253 to receive help in preparing for your first term and to get registered for classes. The HUB is open on a drop-in basis on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays & Fridays from 8:00-5:00 and Wednesdays
- Option 2: Make an appointment with an academic advisor to receive help in preparing for your first term and to get registered for classes. Appointments are available both in person and via Zoom. Email email@example.com or call 503-491-7315 to request an advising appointment.
After meeting with HUB staff or an advisor, you will REGISTER FOR CLASSES By logging into MyMHCC at https://my.mhcc.edu/ICS/. Also, you can view the current schedule of classes by visiting https://my.mhcc.edu/ICS/Schedule.
What if I think my scores are “wrong”?
Sometimes circumstances prevent students from doing their best on a test. If you believe that your CPT results do not accurately reflect your skills you may be able to retest.
Scores are valid for 5 years. If you wish to retake one or more portions of the test during that 5-year period, you may do so. Once you retest, however, you must wait one year to retest again.
What classes do my scores place me into?
Scores range from 200 to 300 - Click here for cut score information.